Tuesday, September 18, 2007

What's New?

Joey, here...

wwweeeellllllll, the weekend was a busy one... Saturday saw me attempt my first cheesecake in several years... It was a chocolate toffee cheesecake requiring the melting of two different kinds of chocolate, which I have little experience at... neither flavor melted well, but i then realized my mistake... I wasn't melting chocolate with butter or cream, like I would for brownies... I needed a double-boiler... Also, I wanted to use a pecan shortbread crust, but, a few weeks before, we froze a failed experiment of toffee brownie bites... Steven chopped up a bunch of them and we used those mixed with chopped hazelnuts to make the crust... Needless to say, I was disappointed with the visual result, but it tasted... OH! so good...

Also, on the menu that day was Bits O' Brickle Biscotti, dipped in, uh-oh, melted milk chocolate... However, THIS time, I used the double boiler method, and the chocolate melted beautifully... Then Steven dipped all the biscotti... There was some choclate left over, so i mixed in the leftover chopped hazelnuts and made our own chocolate bar!

On Sunday, Steven wasn't aware, but I made a 3-layer coconut cake that was to be frosted with coconut cream cheese frosting, then topped and "sided" with toasted coconut... When all was said and done, I think this one is my MOST favorite of all... so far... it was SO moist and flavorful, and the cream cheese icing was perfect with the toasted coconut... It's definitely going on the menu!

This afternoon, I am going to make a malt-ball cake... and some kind of biscotti...

More news as events warrant...

No comments: