Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Red Velvet Cake Redux...

Joey here...

So, after my first failed attempt at Red Velvet Cake on Sunday ended in a tasteless waste of good ingredients, I am going to try again...

My first guess at the reason for failing was the flour I used... The recipe called for cake flour (not the self-rising kind) but trying to find it in any of the nearby grocery stores here in Hell's Kitchen was impossible... So I figured I would use pastry flour... After all, the label stated it was good for pies AND cakes...

After I got the ingredients all mixed and added the blood-red liquid, I had already felt something was wrong, as the batter tasted kind of grainy... But, first attempt and all that, so I assumed that was how it was supposed to be... It came out of the oven a BEAUTIFUL red color, but odorless...

When Steven came home that evening and went to frost it, I, of course, stood by and waited to taste the levelling tops he removed for a level cake... I put it in my mouth, and I have only one word for that experience...

ICK!!!

It went in the trash the next morning...

More news as events warrant...

No comments: