Sunday, January 27, 2008

Daring Bakers Strike Again!!!

And this time it was a Lemon Meringue Pie... Now, you'd think this was an easy pie to make... It's not difficult, but it's not easy either... Steven has always made the pie crust, usually Whole Wheat for his Apple Crostinis... But this was MY first attempt... I took a clue from the Daring Bakers blog and tried grating the chilled butter, but we didn't have a grater, so i used a Microplane...

I am buying a grater... or a food processor...

Anyway, when all was said and done, the crust came together just fine by hand... Steven prepared the crust for the pre-baking and when we removed the pie weights about 2/3 of the ay through, I was concerned because the bottom of the crust looked soggy with butter... But in the end, it came out really flaky!!!
IMG_2442
I'm pretty well-versed in working with Lemon Curd at this point (mainly for our AMAZING Lemon Flip Cake) so the filling wasn't too difficult to make, but cooking the cornstarch base was kinda gross...
IMG_2444 IMG_2445
Once the filling went in, all that was left was to make the meringue topping...
IMG_2446 IMG_2447
This was another job for Steven... And he did magnificently, piling it up and spiking it so that it would color up nicely in the oven... We thought about maybe piping the meringue, but thought a free-form would look much better just mounded and mounded on top...
IMG_2448 IMG_2449
IMG_2450 IMG_2451
So, our second challenge is complete... And of course, we HAD to have a slice and let me just say, and I know Steven will agree, when it comes to Lemon Meringue pie, from scratch tastes infinitely better than from a box...
IMG_2452 IMG_2453 IMG_2457
Steven took the rest to work on Sunday, and the consensus was that the pie was "magical", and "heaven on a plate" ...

I'm putting this on our menu...

YUM!!!

26 comments:

Helene said...

Look at that beauty! I love how tall the meringue is! Beatutiful job as always!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Really good LMP. With a well set filling. The meringue is lovely,too.
Anything cooked from scratch has got to be better than something from a box, I think.

Big Boys Oven said...

Looks so adoring beautiful!

Nikki57 said...

The filling looks like it set perfectly! It looks great!

Cyndi said...

Yours looks absolutey beautiful! I'm jealous!

Suzana Parreira said...

Great job! The pie looks beautiful - I love the doomed meringue!

Madeleine said...

Wow!!! your pie it's so perfect!!!

Congratullations!!

Erin said...

I got nervous when I saw the butter on the crust too!

Excellent job!

... said...

Looking great... good job.
I agree that this pie was a good tasting one.

Iisha

Tracy said...

Wow! Gorgeous pie. I'm impressed.

Rachel said...

hevaen on a plate indeed!!

Megan said...

I agree that its magical. It turned me into a LMP lover!

Lori said...

Great looking pie! I also happened by your other blog...there is some great looking stuff on there! YUM!

Sheltie Girl said...

Your pie is simply beautiful. I bet it tastes equally delicious.

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

It looks totally fabulous & delicious- great job on the meringue!! :O)

Proud Italian Cook said...

Great looking pie! I'm liking the meringue too!

Deborah said...

Your pie looks perfect! Great job!

Steph said...

Wow!! What a perfect looking LMP!!! Congratulatins on a job well done!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely job! Your meringue is fab!

Andrea said...

Absolutely beautiful pie! It looks so tall and fluffy!

Chou said...

Yum! Great meringue peaks. :)

Miss Ifi said...

Congratulations on your challenge it looks amazing.. can I have a slice? please??? yuuum!

Dolores said...

I love the way the two of you team up on these challenges; the end result is always amazing. This month's no exception... great job!

Lunch Buckets said...

Nice team effort! Nice job - the pie looks perfect :)

Unknown said...

Your pie is just gorgeous! It set up perfectly, browne perfectly, and seems to have tasted perfectly. Great job!

Elle said...

Your pie does look heavenly, especially that meringue!